Monday, March 24, 2014

Strawberry and rhubarb Jam..... in the making ...

Hello friends....if you are new to my blog welcome, thanks for stopping by!  Today I am linked up with Try It Tuesday over at Jo's Country Junction. I am also linked up with Tip Junkie both of these ladies have great information on their sites so please go visit them.
I am in the kitchen making strawberry and rhubarb jam right now...please come back to see how it goes as well as get the recipe. Do you have a recipe I need to try? Please send it too me,  I love trying new things.
Be back in a little while..
Ok I am back and  have jam that is done! Yahoo! So here we go..
My recipe came out of the Ball Blue Book. Do you have one?? Well they are well worth the price- you can get them in your canning isle at just about any store. I know Walmart carries them. I know you might have recipes that are handed down from friends, family- Grandma! This is my belief on it so take it for what it is worth. If you are new to canning get a book or use recipes that are ok by the State Extension office in your town. Yes there are people that test the recipes out and make sure they are coming out safely! One reason is because some of our food is not as acidic as it use to be- they have changed our food so now you may have to use lemon juice or vinegar to make it more acidic- this depends on what foods you are using- store bought or Heirlooms, Hybrids etc. Too make sure you are not sick from your food start out safe!  Once you get use to canning you can tell what may or may not be a good recipe, you will know how to tweak things. Like this recipe today I put half a cup more strawberries in because I was short on rhubarb- I have to say it is GOOD!

I am a firm believer in putting your clean jars in the canner with water to not only sterilize but to also make sure the jar is hot enough to put your food in. It can be dangerous to put hot food in a cold jar!

I also put the lids in their own hotbath so they are hot when I put them on the jars.

Take the leaves off the rhubarb- I put mine in the compost and then wash the rhubarb. Then just chop it- I do not chop it that small, some people want it all small. I just slice it and so my jams have the pieces floating in them. This is up to you and your preference. I also make chunky applesauce and I use no sugar in it. That is how we eat it. Depending on the apple it may come out more tangy or more smooth. Depends if you use tangy apples or really soft ones. Yes that is sun tea in the back of the picture- it is in off the porch, just has not made it in the frig yet!

We have a slop bucket for the chickens and the pigs.

We compost- the leaves are poisonous on the rhubarb.


Here is what it looks like with the sugar and then you bring it back up to a rolling boil.

Yum! Plus it smells so good!



Hot jars ready for the jam!
Here are the little beauties after they have had their hot bath. These will make great gifts!

Scraped the sides of the pan and put it on the counter...then a leprechaun must have come along and tried some!hmmmm

 The recipe: yields 6 half-pints

2- cups crushes strawberries
2 -cups rhubarb
6 Tablespoons Ball Classic Pectin
1/4 cup lemon juice
5 1/2 cups sugar
Combine strawberries, rhubarb, pectin and lemon juice in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.Remove from heat, skim foam off the top if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch from the top of jar. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Hope you had fun and are now ready to make your own jam. Its not too hard and you will really enjoy it when its cold outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment